Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Heather Wells Series: A Review

~Caitlin~

I'm finally ready to review my first book, or in this case, books. One of the things that frustrates me personally when I read a review is that I can't judge a person's rating system. Does an 8 out of 10 mean the same to you as it does to me? Because of this, I'm going to briefly explain my thoughts behind ratings. To rate books on this site, we are going to use a scale of 1-10 Scrolls. Here's how I make my decisions.
1-3 Scrolls
The book was so uninteresting to me/ difficult to read that I either didn't or barely finished it.
4-5 Scrolls
The book was average. It probably is not something I will read again, but I might recommend it to someone else.
6-8 Scrolls
I would definitely recommend this book to another person and would probably read it again in the future.
9-10 Scrolls
I loved the book. I rate it so highly I feel everyone should read it and enjoy it as much as me. I will heavily suggest this book, frequently, to anyone who knows me.

I should also let you know what kind of books I enjoy. I love chick lit, romance novels, and humor books. Between my job as a nurse and going to school, I like to read things that aren't too heavy and that I don't have to think about too much. This is not to say I don't enjoy heavier, more serious book, I just don't read them as often and humor is a definite plus. And now, the review:

The Heather Wells Series
By Meg Cabot
7 Scrolls
I was going to review Meg Cabot's "Size 12 is Not Fat" when I finished it last weekend, but I decided to hold off until I finished the whole series instead. Luckily, Ridgefield happened to have the last book in the series, so I was able to read them back to back. The series starts with "Size 12 is Not Fat" and continues with "Size 14 is Not Fat Either" and "Big Boned." This was a murder mystery series about a teenage pop star after she was famous and now has to lead a normal life. Her ex is a self involved boy band member who she left when she caught cheating on her, but he still pops up from time to time just to make things more complicated. She lives with the ex boyfriends black sheep brother, Cooper, who she is madly in love with but who doesn't seem to think she's anything more than a friend. She works at the fictional New York College as an Assistant Dormitory Director(based on Meg Cabot's actual job at NYU). When students start to mysteriously commit suicide in her building, she's the only one who believes it's foul play and sets out to prove it. Tragedy seems to follow her, as all three books are set in a less than 1 year span, and each book involves a different murder and a different mystery.
This was a light read that was funny, moved fast, and made me want to keep reading the series. I loved Heather's though process, which is just as twisted and tangled as mine. I often jump from one topic to another in my head that makes sense to me, but probably not to anyone else. This was my first Meg Cabot book, and since I started it, I have picked up a few more. I will be reading them and reviewing them, probably after finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment