Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On the Road: Belchertown, MA

~Mel~

Belchertown, MA
Clapp Memorial Library
19 South Main St.
Belchertown, MA

Overall: A-
Helpfulness of staff: A
Book condition: B+
Book selection: B+
Value: A-

Several weeks ago I attended the final day of the Spring's Clapp Memorial Library Book Sale in Belchertown, MA. I must admit that I am partial to this sale. The library is my second home and the fundraiser goes to raise money for the Friends of the Library who run the library. The sale is absolutely immense. It takes up the entire basement of the library. There are three main places for the sale: rare or first edition books, newer books, and then the regular older books. The older books cost $1.00 each, down to 50 cents the last day of the sale, so you cannot beat the value. The prices on newer books do vary. I ended up picking up about 13 older books, from "chick lit." to the Da Vinci Code to mystery novels. The selection is impressive. I found all of the major authors represented and have found new favorites at past sales. My one warning is that the part of the basement where the older books are displayed is not really handicapped accessible (there are a few steps down) and it is a bit musty. I have never had a problem with the books themselves actually being musty.

One of my favorite things when reading used books is when I find inscriptions or notes in the books. When I was reading one of the books I picked up at the Clapp Memorial book sale, a note fell out. It said "To my wife, my lover, my friend." I love when books have had a life of their own. It reminds us that just as they become a part of our lives, we become a part of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment